Geriatric Medicine Development - Carving out New Opportunities to Treat Age-related Diseases
Published: Feb-2014 | Format: PDF | CBR Pharma Insights | Number of pages: 58 | Code: MRS - 19619
More than 50% of prescriptions is written for people aged 65 years and older. Many older people suffer from comorbid conditions and one in three takes at least five drugs or more on a daily basis. This significantly increases the risk of Adverse Drug Events (ADEs) and hospitalization. Up to one third of emergency admissions in elderly people is drug-related.
There remains a lack of clinical data to support prescription decisions as relatively few medicines have been clinically evaluated in age-appropriate patients. In addition, many drugs are not available in formulations that are suitable for the elderly, leading to non-compliance and lack of therapeutic efficacy. In 2011, the EMA introduced its Geriatric Medicines Strategy to ensure that the medical requirements of older people are identified earlier in the drug development process. In 2012, the ICH E7 guidelines were revised to include a greater focus on involving more geriatric patients in drug trials.
- Reviews the current regulatory landscape and helps sponsors to understand the potential impact of recent guidelines.
- Assesses the barriers to entry in geriatric medicines and identifies potential ways to overcome them and improve clinical decision making.
- Evaluates the importance of establishing Target Quality Product Profiles (TQPP) to help sponsors determine the target patient population earlier on in drug development.
- Identifies treatment gaps and commercial opportunities based on primary care real-time data and KOL insights.
- Analyses different strategies to develop age-appropriate medicines in niche therapeutic fields and discusses methods to encourage the smarter prescription of medicines.
Reasons to buy
- Utilize the insights from this study to analyze the barriers facing the geriatrics market
- Understand the impact of drug development in this market now and in the future
- Find out why regulators are paying more attention to unnecessary “exclusion criteria” and encouraging the inclusion of older people to ensure trials are age-appropriate and more representative of the real world setting.
- Assess the opportunities available for companies to develop age-appropriate dosages and formulations for existing drug classes that are currently widely associated with ADEs in the elderly as well as new therapeutic prospects.
Table of Contents
Geriatric medicines: an overview
Unmet clinical needs
Political will for change
Strategic considerations for developing geriatric medicines
Barriers to developing geriatric drugs
Clinical trial considerations
“Big data’s” role in identifying treatment gaps and commercial opportunities
Raising physician and patient awareness
Commercial opportunities to address the treatment gap
Improving existing therapies
New therapeutic opportunities
Inquiry For Buying
2019-2024 Global and Regional X-ray Detector Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report
2019-2024 Global and Regional Stoma/Ostomy Care Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report
2019-2024 Global and Regional Starter Fertilizers Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report
2019-2024 Global and Regional Smart Lock Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report
2019-2024 Global and Regional Semi-Autonomous Vehicles Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report
Global Chitosan Market Set for Rapid Growth, To Reach USD 4.74 Billion by 2021
Zion Market Research has published a new report titled Chitosan Market for Water Treatment, Biomed
Development of e-commerce to Reshape Global Mobile Hotspot Router Market
Mobile hotspot is a popular feature on smart phones that provide wireless internet access on many
Global Carotenoids Market Is Expected To Reach Around USD 1.52 Billion in 2021
Zion Market Research has published a new report titled Carotenoids Market by Type (Astaxanthin, Be
Soaring Demand from Food & Beverages Industry to Act as Prime Driving for Ascorbic Acid Market, Reports Zion Market Research
Ascorbic acid is extensively available in nature, mostly rich in leafy vegetables and fresh fruits
Global Energy Management System (EMS) Market Is Set for a Rapid Growth and is Expected to Reach USD 63,161.5 million by 2021
Zion Market Research has published a new report titled Energy Management System Market (EMS) by So